Translate

Sunday, June 7, 2015

F O C U S


Hi!

Many things have happened since my last entry and it hasn't been easy for me.  As you may or may not know, I have struggled with Major Depressive Disorder for a long, long time.  I, for one, didn't know I had it.  It was such a relief to see that something was wrong (once I sought medical help) and that I could quickly bounce back to what I used to pretty much be.  Being that I can socialize much better now, I was able to meet someone special.

I am so excited that I was able to connect with Artist Skip Allen!  He is such a wonderful teacher and he works very hard, despite being retired.  He is a Master Elite Painter for Corel Painter.  Here is some details on Skip that you might find very interesting:  http://skipallenpaints.com/about/

He was able to explain to me what things I needed to do to continue on with my art career and my goals and I learned many things from him with just a short conversation or two:

1.  Most people are unfocused
2. Be specific about your goals
3. Make art NOW.  Confidence will come.
4. Take advantage of Art Grants specifically geared for me
5. Be realistic
6. Stay focused and don't kid myself!  Lol.

So, it just happened I glanced through a notebook, while searching for my art log (the book where I put my created art pieces, medium, titles, and dates.) Instead, I found my goals from 1 year ago aimed for 5 years from now.

Well, I was excited about that because it showed me I've stayed thinking about the same thing for some time now.  I just need to execute it by being specific and doing the things Skip told me to do.

As a result, I begin to create art NOW and again.  It is a piece that started out as abstract lines and shading with nothing in mind.  I used a torn scrap of watercolor paper along with thick and thin vine charcoal.  I shaded with a small scrap of watercolor paper and while doing so, I got interrupted by Lady, my son's cat, so I put my tablet down to one side of the sofa.  I got up, and when I did, that's when the image took a turn for me as I saw it from afar.  I found it had the figure of a man and a foot.  I was amazed by it and began to emphasize lines that would bring it more clearly to show what I was seeing.  Even though I created it to be something specific at this point, I know it may bring a whole new meaning to someone else and that is okay to do.  Abstract is really something that is non-representational and it can be interpreted in many ways.  So, before I go to bed, I will post it so you can see it and you tell me what you see if you like.

It is called, A Man Telling His Story

I see it as a man who is sitting at the edge of the bed facing his wife and telling her his way of running with the ball while he played his most wonderful games.  You see the woman's foot as she lays there listening to his excitement.

Every person likes to share their story.  Every person needs a listener.  In relationships and especially in a marriage, it is important to listen and to share.  I like the meaning of this.  As I shared with my husband the story, he saw a man holding a baby, instead of a ball.  Yes, a man holding his baby while his wife rests...Isn't that beautiful?  I have three boys who play(ed) football, and that may have been why I chose to think of the drawing this way, but I can totally relate to a family unit such as the one my husband sees.

Enjoy your week and your days; make your choices and stay focused.

Dinah Rodriguez Anaya
Artist




No comments:

Post a Comment